Monday, March 17, 2014

Blog #3: "I Know the Truth, So Don't Bother Me with Facts'

     In the article "I Know the Truth, So Don't Bother Me with Facts", author Jeffrey Klugger explains how people easily believe false statements. Klugger also indicates that researchers conducted a study to prove how people's opinion may be easily altered by just showing them pictures that are manipulative and distracting from the real facts and that people do not really take the time to do their own research and learn the truth behind the pictures. I agree with Klugger that when people are proven the opposite their opinions may change, but I also think that emotions play a main role in the way we think. An opinion a person has regarding a specific idea might be distorted when this person is shown images or documents that might not necessarily be a true fact or might suggest something completely different; in many other cases, what we think is based on our emotions and personal experiences.

     Many people stick to an opinion based on what they have heard or seen and they go with the flow thinking that what they believe is right. I work in a middle and high school as a Parent Coordinator and there is a lot of interaction between parents, students, teachers, and myself. I have seen many parents come to the school to complain about what according to their children the teachers are doing wrong and they have not even contacted the teacher the get the other side of the story. For example, a parent questions his daughter for receiving a low grade in science and the child responds by saying that the teacher does not explain well and the class material is too difficult and there is not enough time given to complete during class. When a parent meeting is scheduled, then the teacher has the opportunity to explain to the parent that his daughter is constantly cutting school, does not pay attention and is disruptive, therefore, making it more difficult to understand the class material and also affecting her attendance record. The parent is given an attendance report to show how cutting school is a major problem and how it's affecting the student's learning.

    There are people that do not take into consideration what others have to say and it does not mean that they do not care, it means that these people create an opinion about a certain thing based on their past experiences and their feelings. I have worked with many people getting them the services they needed and they come to me to reach for help and talk about their problems explaining what they need the most. Many families get most free services in their children's school based on their income and family composition and there are times that exceptions are made. I have experienced financial difficulty myself and I know what depending on a limited budget feels like. Being the main contact person to support families on their needs, it is in my hands to make exceptions, but not before consulting my supervisor. For example, there was a family recently that approached me with a situation that I thought is a very difficult experience. The family was evacuated from their apartment due to the recent explosion in East Harlem and was placed in an emergency shelter in The Bronx, so the parent was requesting a transportation pass for her daughter because she could not afford to pay daily transportation for her daughter, her son, her husband and herself. When I reached to my supervisor, she questioned me if the parent had provided a letter from the shelter and denied the request because she thought the family could afford transportation since they have expensive clothing and bring money to school. Whether they have expensive brand name clothing or not, I feel they do need the help at this moment because they have no place of their own and I am unable to create an opinion about them based on what they are wearing because I simply experienced a similar situation and my emotions in this situation come first.

     What we see and hear might not always be right and, therefore, our opinions are constantly changing. In our mind we create opinions based on what we see and hear and sometimes we take the time to find out if the statements given are true or if in fact are false and after our findings we come to a conclusion; and most of the time it is just easier to have a point of view that is not fundamental and creates problems. I believe there are times that we think with the heart and put aside what the brain sees and hears ignoring others people's comments and refuse to follow the crowd. It is common sense to find out what the reality is before creating an opinion about statements that might be false rather than just follow an idea that was made up and has no meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment